Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Beatz By The Pound: Featuring Othello of the Humble Beast Camp!

www.triumfantmuzik.com http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/2223021/872760/Artist/872760/Artist/link Check me out on reverbnation. Join the mailing list and street team!

Konviction,  the Music Editor
with The Oracle Magazine and artist with Triumfant Muzik,
konviction@triumfantmuzik.com
www.triuimfantmuzik.com
www.google.com/profiles/triumfantmuzik1
For those who don’t know, Othello is hip hop! He’s been giving you real music you can feel since 98. Check his resume.  He toured the US, Europe, and Japan, and has been on the summer-long Warped Tour, shared stages with De La Soul , People Under the Stairs, Black Milk, Guilty Simpson, Galactic, Chali Tuna, One BeLo, Ying Yang Twins and well you get the point.. He has sold over 20,000 records around the world. Well now he has a fYAH new album that’s produced entirely by DJ Vajra. I’m telling you this is some of his best work. The Oracle’s music editor ( and Triumfant Muzik artist) Konviction broke bread with Othello to talk about his music, his walk with GOD and more. Check the transcript!
Konviction: For the benefit of our readers, Can you give us a detailed account
of how you came to know Jesus in the pardon of your sins? Was there
any particular issue or circumstance that was relevant to the
experience?
Othello: I grew up a decent kid with a strict moral code (that) my parents had no problem reinforcing. While my home provided me with a solid upbringing, we were not Christians.  I found Jesus rapping alongside two other brothers who grew up in church. I became intrigued and began my quest for “TRUTH”. Skeptical of Christianity as it was presented to me at a “Holy Spirit Filled” church…I turned to “God“ and said ” I don’t care if you  are Budah, Confucious, Allah or whatever, but if you show me who you are I will serve you.  Jesus Began revealing the powerful truth to me about his love, redemption, sacrifice and purpose. So much that I’ve been following Jesus for the past 12 years as my redeeming Messiah and Lord.
K: In listening to the album, I can’t help but notice it has a very clean, crispy, boom-bap appeal, in addition to the DJ/Rap collabo. Is there a specific statement this album is designed to send to the listeners of Christian rap or hip-hop at large? Is there a biblical theme or worldview theme that is underlying the music? How does this compare to previous albums or releases? What are your two favorite songs off the joint and why?
O: The album is a collaborative effort between me a long time Friend Dj Vajra. We’ve always wanted to work together and finally we made it happen. His production style complemented my roots as an artist. During the year this album was being created, I grew as a believer and a man. Having a young family and enduring a season of ongoing hardships, My family and I were left eating the words we so easily preached on and off stage of not letting our circumstances dictate how we view LIFE and God’s hand in the one we’re living. This record is for the people who know what it feels like having to balance being a responsible adult/husband/wife etc., while having a desire and passion to be more than a workaholic. Having a desire to be all that God has called us to be, understanding there is a process we go through in which we can allow to refine and prepare us for what’s ahead.
My favorite songs would have to be Trust, Road Letters, It’s, and The Great Divide because they are the most personal accounts on the record.
K: In general, what is your perception of Christian rap as a genre? What do you make of attempts to establish a mainstream audience or voice for the genre itself? Is this positive for the genre? If so, why, and if not why not?
O: In all honesty, my desire is not to establish a genre of music as much as it is to be effective in the call God has for me with the demographic He has given me an audience with. I support the brothers and sisters I’ve met along the way who carry the “Holy Hip Hop” banner. (But) At the end of the day, i just want to be a positive but more importantly an effective representation of God’s Grace and Mercy to a world in need of a Savior. I’m planted in a solid local church family and consider it a blessing and an honor to serve alongside various ministries who desire to see lives changed for the Glory of Christ Jesus. We are fishers of men…different fish…different bait…different fishing techniques. I only desire to hear “Well done good and faithful (servant)” when it’s all said and done.
K: Are you actively involved in any other aspects of ministry, excluding rap music? If so, how does this relate to your music? If not, can you elaborate on the impact your music has on your listeners?
O: I serve in my church playing the “Hand Drum” when they need it…Hahaha. But pretty much my wife and I have made ourselves available to be used at whatever capacity there is a need for. It’s a church plant so you can guess we’ve helped out in almost every aspect of the church. Haha. Trying to serve homie…Just trying to serve.
K: Is there any area of your ministry or life that you wish to improve, any area of weakness that you feel comfortable sharing? And what step have you taken to improve that area of your life?
O: I have a faith Issue. I am a skeptic by nature. I do not conform easily and loathe the idea of being blindly manipulated especially when it comes to vulnerable issues like FAITH, TRUST, SPIRITUALITY, and TRUTH. But JESUS is true so let all men be a lie. I feel we are responsible for wearing our true face, not only in front of people (church included), but most importantly in front of the Lord. I am flawed on so many levels and my actions to change them are to give to God and keep stepping while he refines me with His power and mercy.
Active Balanced HD from Lain Lee 3 on Vimeo.
K: What is your perception of unity amongst Christian rappers? What, if anything, can or should we do to improve this circumstance?

O. As far as unity among believing Mc’s, I have a brief story. I once sat at a table with the homie, Todd Bangs. Needless to say, we come from two very different approaches to how we go about “fishing”. He told me “You don’t have to be “All in your face with Jesus” as long as Jesus is IN your face”. We both agreed HE was in each others faces. Let’s not confuse methods with motives ya’ll. We need to be praying for each others personal lives and that they honor the Father so from that place (we) pray there would be a desire in our hearts to share that truth in our music allowing the Holy Spirit to draw folks unto himself through what we do….Period.
K: Who is your favorite rapper and producer and why? Is there anyone you have yet to work with that you desire to connect to? What would be your ultimate collabo?
O: Hard to say…I listen to so much stuff that its hard to pick favorites. It all depends on the mood I’m in.
K: From a technical standpoint, how do you “grade” an emcee? What skill set do you seek to develop if you intend on mastering the craft? What advice would you give those looking to pursue careers in this field?
O: I grade an emcee on Voice, Wit, Flow, Personality and Sincerity. In mastering your craft I think you have to first eliminate boxes and formulas. Do you…but do you the best. Embrace Criticism. Desire Growth. Strive for Excellence. As far as careers in hip hop…be honest before yourself and God. Commit to only accepting what HE intends. You’ll find a satisfying purpose there.
K: Tell us what to expect in the future from Othello. Anything else poppin off you wanna share? Singles? Tour dates? Videos? Other products and services? Where can the people reach you? How can they
connect to your movement?
O: I am working on a record with 14kt that is a very accurate account of where I’m at musically, emotionally and spiritually. We’re hoping for it to be ready to drop spring 2011. You can Find me at
www.othello.bandcamp.com
www.reverbnation.com/othellorockswell
www.soundcloud.com/othelloone
www.twitter.com/othelloone
www.facebook.com/othellorockswell
www.humblebeast.com

No comments:

Post a Comment